Set yourself some achievable goals in nutrition and health week-by-week. Not all at once. As the saying goes, Rome wasn’t built in a day, nor should we expect our health to change overnight! Here are some simple nutrition goals I’d suggest.
1. Diversify your foods week by week
- Aim to introduce a new wholesome ingredient each week that perhaps you’ve not cooked with or eaten much before. Find ways to make it work within your diet.
- Try Buckwheat in meals where once you may have eaten quinoa.
- Hemp seeds combined with sesame seeds.
- Watercress with lettuce in salads.
- Walnut milk as a change from almond milk in your smoothies.
2. Make raw juices and smoothies the multivitamins of your diet
Aim for combinations such as:
- Carrot, beetroot, celery, ginger and cucumber in a juice.
- Mint, coriander, pear, cucumber, zucchini and fennel in a smoothie.
- Orange, carrot, turmeric, ginger, galangal and coconut water in a smoothie.
- Grapefruit, apple, cucumber, celery and kale in a juice.
3. Find a way to replace a food which does not serve your health
Instead opt for foods that nourish you, make you feel good and give you the kick you need. So try swapping:
- Swap regular peanut butter for almond or cashew butter.
- Milk chocolate for raw chocolate.
- Wheat crackers for seed snaps.
- Coffee for dandelion tea.
- Soft drink for sparkling mineral water with fresh fruits and mint.
- Ice cream for homemade fruit and yoghurt icy pops.