Vitamin D is one of the most important nutrients for optimal health. This fat-soluble vitamin is produced in the body through exposure to sunlight. However, most of us don’t get enough sunshine in winter to produce adequate levels of vitamin D in our bodies.
It’s good to get your levels checked yearly with your doctor. However, if you know your levels are low then taking a good quality vitamin D is important. If you’re not sure where your levels are at, it’s still a good idea to ensure your diet has some high-quality sources of vitamin D.
Small amounts of vitamin D can be found in fatty fish such as herring, salmon, tuna and sardines, as well as beef, liver, butter, and eggs. Our bodies store vitamin D so it’s important to eat high-quality foods which contain this nutrient. Go for wild fish, organic eggs and grass-fed meat to get the best possible nutrition.
Vitamin D is well known for being vital to bone health. However, here are five other reasons why you need vitamin D to improve your overall health:
- It enhances your immune system to keep you well over winter.
- It helps maintain muscle strength.
- It is essential for normal insulin secretion, which helps balance your blood. sugar levels. This therefore has an effect on your energy levels, mood and weight.
- It helps modulate our neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, which helps you feel happy.
- Adequate levels of vitamin D have been shown in trials to reduce the incidence of all cancers.
This small nutrient is powerful in the body. So include some of the above food sources in your diet or take a high-quality supplement to maintain or elevate your health this winter!