I love this salad for so many reasons, but most of all because when you eat it there is a wonderful explosion of juicy flavours!
It’s a brilliant salad to serve up at lovely cleansing lunch for the spring as it incorporates beautiful antioxidants from kale, clean proteins from chicken and phytochemicals to boot thanks to the herbs and ingredients such as the citrus fruits (particularly the bitter flavor of grapefruit) support the liver’s elimination pathways.
If chicken isn’t your thing then it will work well with legumes such as white beans or chickpeas, or simply sliced avocado and a sprinkle of nuts to serve as a side with a main dish.
Poached chicken citrus and kale salad
Serves 2 as a main
- 1 whole chicken breast
- 3 leaves kale, stalks removed and roughly torn
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 grapefruit, yellow or pink both work well, peeled, pith removed and sliced
- 1 mandarin or orange, peeled and finely sliced
- small handful picked dill leaves
- small handful mint leaves
- good pinch sea salt and black pepper
What to do:
- Bring a medium sized saucepan of water to the boil, add chicken, turn off the heat, cover and set aside to poach chicken for 20 minutes. Once poached, drain, cover to rest 10 minutes, then slice thinly for the salad.
- Combine torn kale leaves, lemon juice and olive oil in a large bowl and massage oil and lemon juice into the leaves.
- Arrange kale leaves on a serving platter, with citrus segments, fresh herbs and chicken, season with salt and pepper and serve.