Banish Bacne This Summer!
We love talking about the latest yoga tights, but sometimes we have to discuss the less-glamourous topics too, like back acne aka bacne. But with the weather heating up don’t fear those sexy backless dresses and tops because we have some practical tips to keep your body breakout-free.
The cause: sweat
According to Alkaline Spa and Clinic skin specialist Kimberley Robison not washing properly, especially post-exercise, is one of the most common causes of bacne.
· Give body acne the boot by staying super clean! Shower and rinse off all the oil, sweat and sunscreen that can build up and use an acne body wash to help reduce inflammation and unclog pores.
· Channel you inner ballerina and sport an easy top knot to keep sweaty hair at bay when exercising.
The cause: hormonal imbalance
Kimberley also says that hormonal imbalances from natural causes or medication can contribute to blemishes. Alkaline naturopath Erin Gail agrees saying ”women and men may be experiencing particular high testosterone levels or even adrenal fatigue issues that affect hormones.”
Seek advice from a doctor or natural health expert if you believe this could a problem for you.
The cause: poor diet and digestive function
Poor regulation of blood sugar balances as well a poor digestive function can wreak havoc with your skin.
Erin proposes a few solutions:
· Reduce insulin levels through a low Gl diet.
· Lower acidity levels in the body by enjoying alkaline-rich foods such as lemons, sprouts, cruciferous vegetables and super greens such as spirulina and chlorella.
· Zinc is called the beauty mineral for a good reason. It helps promote healing, reduces scarring, inhibits the growth of acne-producing microorganisms and is required for optimal immune activity. Try adding a supplement to your daily routine.
· Colonic irrigation is a another option to reduce bowel toxicity.
The cause: hair care products
You love nourishing your hair with masks but are you paying the price with unwanted blemishes? Unfortunately hair styling products can deposit excess residue on your skin, clogging pores on your hairline, upper back and neck.
Always wear a shower cap when using deep-conditioning hair treatments to let your skin breathe and prevent pesky pimples appearing.
The cause: dirty sheets and towels
Cleaning your sheets regularly (ideally twice a week if you can) helps keep skin acne-free. Same goes for your towel, use a new towel every time you shower since acne-causing bacteria can linger after each use.