Getting to sleep can be tough at the best of times, especially when you’ve got a lot on your mind. Rest assured, because we’ve got one handy hint to get you to sleep in a flash. It’s time for the sheep counting to come to an end because this technique is the only one you need.
Introducing the ‘4-7-8’ method. No, you won’t be doing maths before you hit the hay. This technique is all about focussing on your breath to slow down your heart rate. It’s simple: breathe in through your nose for four seconds, hold your breath for seven seconds, and exhale through your mouth for eight seconds. You may be tempted to count a little faster than normal if you start to feel light headed but as long as you keep to the 4-7-8 ratio, you’ll be in the land of nod in no time!
DR WEIL, AMERICAN M.D AND BEST SELLING AUTHOR ON HOLISTIC HEALTH SAYS: “PRACTICING REGULAR, MINDFUL BREATHING CAN BE CALMING AND ENERGISING AND CAN EVEN HELP WITH STRESS-RELATED HEALTH PROBLEMS RANGING FROM PANIC ATTACKS TO DIGESTIVE DISORDERS.”
Here’s how to get to sleep:
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths
This trick is great for any time you need to stop, take a breath (literally) and de-stress because you can actually feel your heart slowing down. Your heart, mind and central nervous-system will immediately feel more relaxed because of the increased levels of oxygen within your bloodstream.
So next time you find your mind wandering whilst you’re trying to fall asleep, try this trick and you’ll be asleep before you know it!