Whether you travel frequently for work (as we do at Sporteluxe) or are jetting off to enjoy the European summer, we all know the importance of a good night’s sleep to staying healthy whilst on the move.
However, travelling – especially after a long haul flight – is often the time you’re most vulnerable to succumb to a cold or the dreaded sleep hangover, when you wake up feeling exhausted and sluggish. (Yep, you know the warning signs; red eyes, irritability and lethargy.)
So don’t let an illness or exhaustion ruin an otherwise fantastic trip. Instead, try these simple tips for great sleep on your next sojourn.
- Fuel your body the right way
Have light meals only the day of your flight and go easy on the caffeine. And sorry to sound like fun-killers, but we’d also recommend avoiding alcohol just before, during your flight, and soon after you land, as dehydration will have a huge impact on your body. Honestly, save the wines for the other end. You’ll feel much better if you say no to the drinks trolley.
- Set your watch to the destination’s time when you board
It’s a trick used by seasoned fliers for good reason. Treating your transit as the time in your final destination helps get your sleep and eating patterns accustomed to the new time zone.
- Pack some chemical-free sleep-enhancers
- Breathe Right Nasal Strips are great for a post-flight blocked nose, and for those common occasions colds and flu set in the second you go on holiday. These tiny adhesive strips are designed to relieve nasal congestion and reduce snoring.
- Lavender oil is a proven sleep enhancer, so pack a small bottle to sprinkle onto hotel pillows for instant relaxation. Try, In Essence Lavender Pure Essential Oil
- Don’t leave home without an eye mask and ear plugs, so you can block out aircraft noise and light. Forgot to pack them? Grab them both at a pharmacy when you arrive.
Try → Breathe Right Nasal Strips, $24.95 | In Essence Lavender Pure Essential Oil, $17.95
- Add a probiotic to your pre-trip routine
Health experts all agree a healthy gut is the secret to a supercharged immune system, but it can also help promote glowing skin and reduce the symptoms of bloating (neither great when you want to look your photographic best on your travels!). We like BioCeuticals UltraBiotic 500, which is high strength probiotic in a convenient one-a-day dose.
Try → BioCeuticals UltraBiotic 500, $32.65
- Soak up the sunshine (safely)
Once you arrive at your destination, why not head out and enjoy the glorious outdoors for a little while. Your body will lap up the vitamin D and it’s also the best way to see the sights. Just remember the factor 30+ and a sunhat in your luggage.
Breathe Right Sleep Hangover Competition
Breathe Right want you to know when you’ve got a Sleep Hangover! To enter, simply tell or show Breathe Right in a Facebook status update, tweet or Instagram post how your Sleep Hangover is impacting your day, using the hashtags #SleepHangover and #BreatheRight. Once your post is live, you instantly enter a competition to win a night for two, at QT Hotel (Sydney or Gold Coast) including a 90-minute massage for two at SpaQ and dinner, valued between AUD$1500 and AUD$1800. The competition closes August 11, 2015 and there are three prizes to be won: two in Sydney and one on the Gold Coast. Click here for more information!
A dedicated story for GlaxoSmithKline