With just a few simple ingredients you can turn the not-so-healthy traditional fried rice into a superfood-filled complete meal. It has been reported that including more wholegrains into your diet, like brown rice, can considerably lower your risk of heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes! Not to mention, kale and garlic are super high in Vitamin C, which can help keep those pesky winter colds away. Add an egg or top with some organic grilled chicken or salmon for extra protein – yum!
Healthy Fried Rice with Garlic, Kale & Chilli
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 cups kale, finely chopped
2 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp vegetable/coconut oil
1-2 organic, free range eggs (optional)
Chilli flakes (optional)
- Cook the brown rice according to instructions, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions, stirring until soft and translucent (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and sauté for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the kale and stir until wilted.
- Add the rice and cook for another two minutes, stirring.
- At this stage, you may choose to add 1-2 organic eggs. If so, crack two eggs into a separate bowl and then add to rice. Stirring the egg through the mixture until completely cooked.
- Add the tamari and cook for another minute. Divide into two bowls and serve.