This Korean-style lamb rump from celebrity chef, Hayden Quinn, is the perfect hearty but healthy dinner recipe. With a quinoa, kale, kimchi and egg stuffing it provides a hit of protein and gut-friendly goodness, hidden in a tender rump. And the best bit: it tastes just as good as tomorrow’s ‘leftovers lunch’.
But before getting your apron on, Hayden’s left us with some cooking tips to make the lamb to your liking:
- If you’re a sook when it comes to spice, replace the kimchi with 1/3 cup of pickled vegetables of your choice
- For something different, try using a lamb mini-roast or easy carve leg
Korean-Style Lamb Rump with Quinoa Stuffing
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
4 lamb rumps (approx. 200g each)
100g white quinoa
1⁄3 cup kimchi, finely chopped
50g kale leaves, trimmed, shredded
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
400g kipfler potatoes, halved
1 red apple, sliced into thin wedges
1⁄4 Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
2 green onions, finely sliced diagonally
1 tablespoon currants
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1⁄3 cup roughly chopped coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). To make the stuffing, cook the quinoa according to packet instructions. Drain and rinse. Place quinoa in a large bowl with kimchi, kale and egg. Season and stir to combine.
- Lay the rumps out on a chopping board and cut horizontally most of the way through the thickest part on both sides of the rump, leaving a join at each end, and then flattening the lamb out to provide a larger surface area for the stuffing. If necessary, gently beat the meat with a mallet to provide an even thickness. Divide the stuffing down the middle of the rumps, roll and tie the lamb at 2cm intervals with cooking twine.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and sear the lamb on all sides for 4 to 5 minutes until evenly browned. Place the lamb rumps on a rack in a roasting dish. Roast for 15 to 20 mins or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove the lamb from the roasting dish and rest covered for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes until tender. Drain, rinse and cool. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, apple, cabbage, green onions, currants, mayonnaise, lemon juice and coriander.
- Serve the lamb sliced with the potato salad. Sprinkle with micro herbs, if desired.