Who doesn’t love waffles? They’re crisp-on-the-outside, fluffy-on-the-inside (if made correctly!), sweet but not sickly, and they can be paired with almost anything.
One of our favourite recipes happens to belong to Jacqueline Alwill. Her gluten-free waffles with chocolate dipped fruit and almond chocolate cream are not only delicious and super simple to make, but they’re guaranteed to impress. Thankfully, she let us share her recipe.
Expect choc dipped fruits, a chocolate cream and delicious buckwheat waffles with nutrition to boot. Do you want to know the best part, though? There is no added sugar in these numbers. Winner baby! – Jacqueline Alwill.
Buckwheat Waffles With Almond Chocolate Cream and Fruit
For the waffles
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup mashed banana (approximately 3 bananas)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
4 Medjool dates pitted
2 tablespoons vanilla essence
For the chocolate cream
45g Well Naturally No Sugar Added Chocolate Almond Chip
2 bananas, mashed
2/3 cup Greek yoghurt
For the chocolate-dipped fruit
1 kiwifruit, cut into slices on the round
3 figs, cut into slices
6 slices of dragonfruit
45g Well Naturally No Sugar Added Chocolate Rich Dark
- To make the waffle batter, combine the eggs, bananas, coconut oil, dates and vanilla in a blender and blend for 20 seconds. Add the buckwheat flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Blend for a further 10 seconds. Transfer batter to a bowl and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Turn on your waffle maker and allow it to heat.
- While the waffle mixture is resting, prepare the chocolate cream. To melt the chocolate for the chocolate cream heat a saucepan full of water until gently simmering and place a stainless steel mixing bowl on top. Break up the chocolate into pieces and place in the bowl. Allow to slowly melt, stirring occasionally and ensuring the heat does not get too high. It should take around 10 minutes to melt completely.
- Place the bananas, Greek yoghurt and melted chocolate into a high powered blender and blitz to combine.
- Melt the chocolate for the dipped fruits the same way as for the cream. Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the fruit segments onto the tray. Individually dip each slice into the melted chocolate and return to the tray. Place in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Now that the mixture is rested, cook the waffles for approximately 6 minutes or until golden. The mix should make enough for 4-5 waffles.
- Top with the chocolate cream and dipped fruits to serve.