This nut butter is a take on a cherry ripe chocolate bar. We used berries instead of cherries because they are cheaper, more nutritionally dense and easily accessible thanks to the frozen kind. This nut butter has a cashew base with berries, coconut and raw cacao to make it taste like a cherry ripe. Cashews are high in protein, berries are a low sugar fruit, coconuts are loaded with good fats and raw cacao is a superfood – how’s that for a nutritious addition to your toast!
Berry Ripe Nut Butter
Vegan, refined sugar free, gluten free, dairy free
Makes 3 Small Jars
1 cup cashews
2 cups desiccated coconut
1.5 cups berries (fresh or defrosted frozen berries)
1/3 cup raw cacao
2 tablespoons maple syrup/honey/rice malt/coconut sugar/4-6 Medjool dates
- Roast the cashews at 170 degrees Celsius for 7 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Process the desiccated coconut into a thick paste, stopping and scraping down the sides. This may take some time. Add cashews (when cool) and process until the cashews form a smooth paste. Place half in a bowl and set aside.
- Add your sweetener of choice and cacao powder and process to combine. Taste the mixture and adjust to your liking. Place the mixture into a bowl and give the food processor a clean.
- Add the cashew and coconut mixture back into the food processor with the berries. Process until combined. Place it back into its bowl.
- Fill half the jars with the chocolate layer. Top each jar with the berry layer. Store in the fridge.