Garden-fresh asparagus soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped, plus extra,
curled in cold water, to serve
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and diced
- 750 ml (26 fl oz/3 cups) vegetable stock (see page 151)
- 270 ml (91/2 fl oz) tin additive-free coconut milk
- 175 g (6 oz/1 bunch) asparagus, cut into 1.5 cm (5/8 inch) pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the spring onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft. Add the curry powder, ginger, turmeric, lemon zest, juice and turnip and cook, stirring frequently,
for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, coconut milk and asparagus, and simmer, partially covered,
for 15 minutes or until the turnip is tender, then add the salt.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then purée the mixture in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. Reheat gently if necessary, then drizzle with olive oil, grind over black pepper and garnish
with curled spring onion.
Recipe and image from Heal Your Gut by Lee Holmes (Murdoch Books) $35, available now in all good bookstores and online.