Full of layers and layers of health-promoting ingredients this dish, from my cookbook Eat Yourself Beautiful (Murdoch; $35), is one dessert you can indulge in all year round!
100 g quinoa
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of Celtic sea salt
60 ml unsweetened almond milk
1/2 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
6 drops stevia liquid or 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
2 bananas, sliced
130 g full-fat Greek- style yoghurt
4 tablespoons coconut flakes
110 g mixed berries
1 teaspoon almond butter, melted
1 tablespoon chia seeds, for sprinkling
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve. Rinse with cold running water for 2–3 minutes, moving the seeds around with your hand to ensure that the seeds are well rinsed and any residue is removed.
- Bring 250 ml water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the quinoa, return to the boil, cover and reduce the heat to low for 12–15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the quinoa in a bowl and stir through the cinnamon and salt.
- In a saucepan over medium–low heat, warm the almond milk for 3–4 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and stevia or rice malt syrup.
- Add a couple of spoons of quinoa to four glass jars, or glasses. Mix through the almond milk and follow with layers of slivered almonds, banana slices, yoghurt, coconut flakes and berries. Repeat until the jars are full, with berries as the top layer.
- Top with the melted almond butter and chia seeds.