The wellness world is going nuts for cauliflower gnocchi (namely, the ones you’ll find in the freezer section at Trader Joe’s) and you don’t need to be a genius to figure out why.
Whilst traditional gnocchi are made using potatoes, flour and egg, Trader Joe’s gluten-free cauliflower gnocchi consist of 75% cauliflower with the added touches of cassava flour, potato starch, extra virgin olive oil and sea salt.
The exclusion of wheat, eggs (and dairy) automatically translates to fewer carbs, lower calories and less fat than its beloved potato counterpart (fun fact; Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi are too are made in Italy with love!).
But with all healthy swaps, what we really want is for them to mimic the real deal and the biggest test of all comes in the form of two things: taste and texture.
What we’ve gathered from cauli gnocchi enthusiasts is that they truly are the best you’re going to get, but one thing that seems to remain consistent across the board is to not cook the gnocchi in accordance to the instructions on the packet.
Cauli gnocchi lovers feel very strongly about this and advise that by microwaving, boiling and or sautéing the gnocchi as per the packet’s instructions, it only results in bland, chewy gnocchi (and no one wants that).
We took one for the team and scouted the internet for some of the most fluffy, mouth-watering cauliflower gnocchi recipes going around (it’s a tough job but someone’s gotta do it).
1. Heat 1-2 tbs oil on a nonstick pan (so important that it’s nonstick. I also spray coconut oil).
2. When hot, add 1 clove minced garlic.
3. When garlic is slightly golden brown, add frozen gnocchi stir for 4-5 mins on medium/ high heat.
4. Add one tbs water and steam for about 2 minutes. Mix halfway.
5. Sauté again for 2-3 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy!
Cream cheese pesto:
Recipe by @realfoodwithrebecca.
1. Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp of the ghee. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the remaining tbsp of ghee into the same pan. Add frozen (or partially thawed) gnocchi and the mushrooms and cook on medium high heat 5-7 minutes until browned.
3. Add the chicken back into the pan along with the garlic powder, salt, and sage. Add spinach, stir to combine, and cook for an additional minute. Enjoy!
Recipe by @maryswholelife.
1. Crisp cauli gnocchi on a pan until golden brown with either olive oil or @fourthandheart ghee.
2. Add 3/4 cup marinara sauce of choice.
3. Add 4 tbsp of canned coconut milk and stir.
4. Add sautéed greens (I used kale).
5. Top with Parmesan and/or nutritional yeast.
Recipe by @rach.eatss.
1. Microwave the cauliflower gnocchi to defrost for 1 minute.
2. Heat up the ghee in a skillet over low-medium heat, then add the cauliflower making sure to separate them.
3. Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Cook the egg sunny side up.
5. Serve the egg & gnocchi with 1/2 avocado sliced and EBTB seasoning.
Recipe by @anythingbutramen.
Method: Sauté frozen cauliflower gnocchi with mushrooms and baby kale in avocado oil and top it with lemon juice, goat’s cheese and pomegranate.
Recipe by @naturallycaroline.
1. Place all of the frozen gnocchi in a pan with 1/4c of water and cover for 6-8 minutes over medium heat.
2. Once the gnocchi is cooked all the way through and the water in the pan is gone, add your spiralized veggies (I have been loving zucchini and yellow squash noodles). Mix and cover for 2-3 min to allow the zoodles to soften.
3. Add 1c of red sauce, mix, and continued to cook for another 2 min.
4. Optional: add protein to the mix (Eg. tempeh).
5. Top with nutritional yeast and enjoy.
Recipe by @abv_fitlife.
1. Sauté cauliflower gnocchi in olive oil, S+P, and diced fresh garlic for about 10 min or until both sides are golden brown.
2. In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup of marinara sauce of choice with 1/4 cup reduced fat coconut milk.
3. In a separate pan, sauté slices of zucchini in avocado oil S+P.
4. Once gnocchi is golden brown, add sauce onto gnocchi, and add edamame, and fresh baby kale and let simmer for 5 min.
5. Combine in a bowl with zucchini and top with hemp seeds and micro-greens.
Recipe by @rach.eatss