When it comes to women’s active wear, there’s no denying that choosing a sports bra is of the utmost importance. According to Kate Wheeler, senior designer of Bonds bras, “an unsupported B-cup breast can bounce up to 8cm, and an unsupported DD cup can bounce up to 19cm during exercise. Because there are no muscles in your boobs, things don’t just snap back into place once they stretch out of shape so this can lead to permanent ligament damage and tissue sagging. ” Ouch!
To avoid a short-term reenactment of Baywatch and long-term brankles (yep, breast-ankles), we asked Triumph bra stylist, Paula Svoboda how to choose the right sports bra. “With so many sport bras on the market,” she says, “it can be a little difficult to figure out what you need – it all depends on your size & shape and the exercise that you’re doing.”
Paula Svoboda’s top 3 tips for finding the perfect sports bra:
1. Get fitted – I cannot recommend this enough. You need to have a sports bra (and bra in general) that fits your correctly. Wearing a bra that is either too small or too large means that you’re not going to be comfortable or supported, which could lead to damaged breast tissue due to bouncing. Head to your local lingerie store and ask to be fitted professionally.
2. Know what you need from your bra – high performance exercise is going to need a bra that offers more support and reduces bounce, so just a crop top isn’t going to provide that. Also if you have a larger bust you’re also going to require more support for lower impact exercise. Crops are perfect for workouts like yoga and Pilates, otherwise a sports bra with underwire is essential.
3. Features – just because a bra is pretty doesn’t mean it’s going to offer you the support you need. Here’s some of my key features to look out for when purchasing.
- Moisture wicking fabric is breathable and is going to keep you drier and cooler for longer.
- Padded straps are going to ensure there’s no major digging or extra pressure on your shoulders
- Double layered fabric is going to ensure that there’s no rubbing or discomfort
Find the ideal sports bra for your bust
For the itty bitty
What better way to get the perfect fitting sports bra than to choose one that’s been designed by lingerie experts? Bras N Things latest active range introduces this new wire-free style with removable push-up cups which is extremely comfortable, particularly for those less endowed! We can’t get enough of the extra-flattering Push It crop in black/pink with its plunging neckline and optimum support.
Shop → Bras N Things Push It Crop $59.99
For the in-between
Triumph’s Triaction Energise supports sizes B to DD, making it the perfect sports bra for the average-breasted female. Designed for medium intensity exercise, it has encased under bust elastic and a cross over straps for maximum support. Plus, the padded cups make it the ideal athleisure piece to transition from the gym to the every day.
Shop → Triumph Triaction Energise $49.95 (Available in Black/Pink in March + Aquamarine (pictured) in May)
For the full-busted
Berlei’s Electrify Underwire Bra reduces breast bounce by up to 50% making it perfect for full-busted women working at high intensities. With built-in underwire and a racerback design it provides maximum support. Our very own Bianca Cheah tested this out on her twins – the verdict? “It didn’t move. Snug, firm and comfortable with no side-boob or slip-outs! Highly recommended.” Available in a range of colours – we love the ‘Deep Amazon’ pictured above.