ANZAC day is when we stop to remember those who served and lost their lives at war. In support of this very memorable day, Zara D’Cotta from Oh My Goodness has created and shared her gluten, dairy and refined sugar-free Anzac biscuit recipe.
Zara has used quinoa flakes and almond meal in replace of flour which she says is a great source of protein and fibre, and we can assure you these healthy Anzac biscuits taste just as good, if not better than, the traditional versions.
The biscuits are super delicious on their own as snacks, but with the addition of her banana ice cream, will surely take the dish to a whole new level of ah-mazing!
ANZAC ice cream sandwiches
For the biscuits:
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1-2 tbsp. water
For the ice cream:
1-2 frozen bananas
200ml coconut milk
What to do
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius
- Combine quinoa flakes, desiccated coconut and almond meal in a mixing bowl.
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat; add rice malt syrup, vanilla extract. Pour into dry ingredients and stir.
- Combine bicarb soda and 1 tablespoon water. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until combined (add a little bit more water if the mixture is too dry).
- Spoon mixture into small round balls on lined baking tray; flatten into shape of a biscuit.
- Bake for approximately 20 – 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and place on rack to cool.
- Put frozen banana and coconut milk in a food processor and whiz until soft and creamy.
- Scoop ice cream mixture onto biscuits and make the most delicious sandwiches you’ve ever tasted.
Don’t worry if you make a mess, that’s half the fun!