We’re huge fans of nutritionist, holistic health coach, yoga teacher and whole foods chef, Lee Holmes, here at Sporteluxe. In her latest book, Heal Your Gut, she explains how digestive worries are central to so many health concerns, then how to heal them naturally.
“Think of your gut as a garden that can only thrive when the soil is healthy,” she says. “Healthy soil requires healthy foods and nutrients that will allow the ‘good guys’ to flourish. By feeding our bodies all-natural, easily digestible foods, we can help our gut to function optimally without the need to resort to dietary supplements.”
Here’s another of the 90 beautiful, anti-inflammatory, healing recipes in the book!
Baked blueberry custards by Lee Holmes
“Ultra-comforting and soft like a big downy blanket, this is one of my favourite sweet comfort foods to cuddle up to at the end of a cold day,” says Lee. “Coconut milk is an excellent replacement for traditional dairy, making an allergy- and digestive-system-friendly custard.”
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) tin additive-free coconut milk
- 4 organic egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 8 drops liquid stevia
- 155 g (51/2 oz/1 cup) blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F).
- Heat the coconut milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 2–3 minutes or until just warmed.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks to ribbon stage (when you lift the whisk the mixture falls slowly and forms a ribbon that holds its shape for a while).
- Slowly add the coconut milk to the egg, then return to the saucepan and place over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat, then stir through the vanilla extract and stevia.
- Divide the blueberries between four ramekins or ovenproof bowls, then pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Place the serving dishes in a baking dish, then pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes or until the custards wobble when shaken gently.
- Allow to cool, then refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
Recipe and image from Heal Your Gut by Lee Holmes (Murdoch Books) $35, available now in all good bookstores and online.