If there is one thing The Biggest Loser Australia trainer Commando Steve knows it’s how to put together an awesome workout! To celebrate the start of his next GetCommandoFit program we asked Commando Steve to share one of his favourite full body workouts with us.
Commando Steve’s complete body workout
Workout summaryThe warm up: 10 minutes of cardio. Either jogging or walking. The workout: Three rounds for time 10 x Prone W-Y 10 x Incline Push Ups 10 x Wall Angels Rest one minute between rounds To finish: Deadbug (one minute in total)
How to do the workout exercises
“A group of exercises is called a round and the workout is three rounds of 10 reps each,” says Commando Steve. “When it says three rounds for time it means that you do that whole round three times and see how long that takes. Next time, try to beat that time.
So do the warm up then you start the stopwatch and you time how long it takes you to do three rounds with a minute rest between rounds. The idea is that next time you try and beat it your time. Remember though form and technique are more important than a fast time.”
- Lie on your stomach, elbows bent and hands in line with your ears.
- Raise your arms and legs, so you’re supporting your body weight with your core.
- Reach your hands to the maximum extension in front of your body, while keeping your legs still raised.
- Bring your hands back in line with your ears, and repeat. Complete this cycle of movement for 10 repetitions.
- Start by standing in front of a wall with your feet slightly away (approximately 5-7cm). Lean back onto the wall stabilising your lower and upper back touching the wall.
- Raise your arms placing them against the wall with your elbows out and hands at head level.
- Keep your core tight and ribs down, this will help your back and arms maintain contact with the wall throughout the movement.
- Together raise your arms up along the wall as high as possible then bring them back down. Repeat this movement for 10 repetitions.
Incline Push Up
- Using a box, bench or stable object place your hands on the object just outside your shoulders with arms extended. Place your feet together and squeeze your legs tight.
- Lower your chest to the box keeping your elbows by your side. Press through your hands and extend arms back to start position. Repeat 10 times.
Note: you need to accumulate one minute for the Dead Bug. So for example: if you do it for 20 seconds then stop and rest when you start again you will still have 40 seconds to go to complete one minute.
- Start by lying on the floor, raise both your legs and arms up to 90 degrees at the hip and shoulder.
- Lower one arm with the opposite leg to the floor keeping the other arm and leg in the upright position.
- Raise back up and repeat with the other arm and leg. Continue to cycle through this movement.