With Thanksgiving around the corner, we’re looking to load our dinner table with tons of delicious and out of the box recipes. Forget the old school mashed potatoes, we’re going with an alternative. These roasted sweet potatoes get sticky, sweet and full of great holiday flavor when roasted. You can serve alongside your holiday bird or any time of year. We’re replacing cranberry sauce with maple syrup and orange for sweetness. This is the perfect healthy alternative to a heavy Thanksgiving meal, with protein-packed, nutritious sweet potato making the ultimate entrance to wow your family and friends. Sweet potatoes are also rich in beta carotene, which your body can convert into vitamin A. Keep reading below for the incredible roasted sweet potatoes with maple syrup, orange, and spices.
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F.
2. Cut each sweet potato in half horizontally and then cut each half into 1/3 planks (about four slices per half depending on the size of the sweet potato).
3. Lay the sweet potatoes in a single layer in one large or two medium baking dishes (two 13 x 9 dishes will do the job).
4. Mix the maple syrup, vegetable oil, cinnamon, and cloves together in a small bowl.
5. Peel off four large strips of zest from the orange. Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl with the maple syrup mixture.
6. Pour this mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes, nestle in the strips of zest and the star anise.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft and saturated.