We wouldn’t usually use the terms ‘healthy’ and ‘breakfast burrito’ in the same sentence. But this kale-encased offering from celebrity foodie and cookbook author Dan Churchill puts a clean eating twist on a traditionally unhealthy dish. Plus, we think Dan’s variation would work just as well for lunch or dinner too.
Kale breakfast burrito
2 kale leaves, stems removed
2 bacon rashes (free-range and chemical-free if possible)
2 organic eggs
1/4 avocado (sliced)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves
Pinch of salt (Sporteluxe loves Himalayan salt)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place garlic on aluminum foil. Drizzle with a little oil, sprinkle with salt and wrap foil around. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a fry pan and place on a high heat. Cook the bacon on each side for two to three minutes or until golden and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until light. Pour directly onto existing fry pan. Hold the handle and move the egg around the pan to expand the circle, before using a spatula underneath the egg to loosen. Cook for one to two minutes, before rolling egg up.
- Combine the tahini and lemon juice in a jar or a small bowl. Then squeeze out the flesh of the garlic from the skin – it should be very squishy. Add to the tahini and lemon juice and shake or mix until well combined. You can always add a splash of oil and a pinch of salt as well if you like.
- To serve, overlap two kale leaves. Layer with the rolled-up egg, making sure it is on the same axis for when you roll up the kale. Add bacon and top with the avocado and a drizzle on the tahini sauce. Fold up and enjoy!
Want more healthy foodie inspiration? Visit Dan’s website or connect with him on Instagram @dan_churchill