This paleo raw choc raspberry cake is a real crowd pleaser! Grain free, gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free. It looks super impressive but don’t be deceived, it is simple, delish and nourishing.
Paleo Raw Choc Raspberry Cake
Serves: 12 Prep time: 1 ½ hours Freezer time: 2 hours
For the base
1 cup walnuts
1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
¼ cup raw cacao powder
100g pitted dates (soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes)
2 tbs. coconut oil
For the filling
2 cups raw cashews (soaked in water for about 1 hour)
1 ½ cups coconut milk
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
½ cup raw cacao powder
2 tbs Natvia or stevia
For the topping
¾ cup coconut oil, melted
½ cup raw cacao powder
½ cup nut butter
1 tbs. Natvia or stevia
- Line the base of a 24 cm spring form cake tin with baking paper.
- Start with the base. In a food processor, place the walnuts, raw cacao powder and desiccated coconut.
- Whiz these ingredients until a fine meal forms. Transfer the meal into a large mixing bowl, leave this for now.
- Drain the soaked dates and place them into the food processor, along with the coconut oil.
Whiz these until a smooth paste forms.
- Transfer the paste into the mixing bowl with the meal and mix together (you may need to get your hands dirty for this job!).
- Once it’s all combined, press the base into the cake tin, making sure you press it out evenly, covering the entire base.
- Place this into the freezer.
- Now for the filling.
Drain and rinse the cashews and place them into the food processor. Whiz these until a crumbly, buttery paste forms.
- Now add the coconut milk, coconut oil, raw cacao and Natvia. Whiz on high speed until completely smooth (this takes around five minutes).
- Add the raspberries and whiz on low for around 1 minute (less time if you want the raspberries more chunky).
- Take out the base from the freezer and spread the filling on top of the base.
- Place the cake into the freezer, you could leave the cake as is or make it super special with the topping below!
- For the topping. Mix all the topping ingredients in your blender until smooth, this will take around 5 minutes, the friction from the blender melts it all together nicely.
- Take the cake out of the freezer and drizzle the chocolate mixture onto the cake and place back into the freezer until the cake is fully set. About 1 ½ hours. Store the leftover cake in the fridge.