These little babies are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free!
2 cups almond meal
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp water
1 large apple, diced finely
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
3 pitted medjool dates, diced finely
1 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
3/4 cup diced pecans
3/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup diced almonds
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
Pinch sea salt
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
1/8 cup maple syrup
1/2 tbsp arrowroot
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolks, beaten
1) Combine all the filling ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the mixture until the dates have almost completely disintegrated and the apple has softened. Add an extra teaspoon or two of water if needed. Set aside.
2) Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Lightly oil 12 small tart cases.
3) In a medium bowl, mix all dry crust ingredients together. Create a well in the centre and add all the wet ingredients. Mix till a dough ball forms.
4) Place the crust mix into the tart cases. Shape the mix by using your index fingers. Ensure there is enough mix at the base to hold together. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Set aside.
5) Mix all the crumble ingredients together in a bowl.
6) To assemble, add the filling to the par-cooked crusts, taking care not to overfill. Top with the crumble mixture. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until crumble is slightly golden. Serve with custard drizzled on top.
7) To make the custard, heat up almond milk and lemon rind together in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
8) Meanwhile, in medium bowl beat egg yolks and maple syrup until pale and creamy. Add arrowroot and vanilla.
9) Gradually add the warm milk to the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to stove and cook at medium to low heat, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Set aside.
For more healthy treats check out my cookbook Wholefood Entertaining at thebodydietetics.com.au