The Easter long weekend is coming up, which means that every which way you turn, you’re bombarded by the sight of chocolate. We’ve harped on about the importance of balance, sticking to (somewhat) of an exercise regime and making healthy swaps when you can so that you can still enjoy all the festivities without feeling like you’re missing out.
Speaking of which, this dairy-free mocha slice by model turned cook, Jax Raynor is the ultimate sweet treat that will trick your taste buds into thinking they’re having something naughty. One of the star ingredients includes a cold brew coffee with almond milk which is responsible for that fluffy mocha cream you see there in the middle.
Okay, enough teasing. Keep scrolling for the recipe!
(Dairy free and gluten free)
• 1 1⁄2 cups raw almonds
• 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates
• 2 tbsp coconut oil
• Pinch of salt
• 2/3 cup coconut oil, room temperature
• 1⁄4 cup coco powder
• 1 tbsp honey
For Mocha Cream
• 1 1⁄2 cups Califia Farms Mocha Noir Cold
• 2 cups nuts of your choice (E.g. half
walnuts and half almonds)
• 1⁄4 cup honey
• 1⁄2 cup coconut oil
• 2 tsp salt
1. Cover 2 cups of nuts of your choice with 1 1⁄2 cups Califia’s Mocha Noir Cold Brew Coffee.
2. Leave in the fridge to soak for at least 5 hours or overnight.
3. After the nuts have soaked you can begin your crust.
4. Line a 5x10x3” baking pan with baking paper.
5. Add your raw almonds into a food processor or blender and blitz until coarsely ground.
6. Add in your dates, coconut oil and salt. Blitz until fully combined and the mixture can be easily stuck together with your fingers.
7. Pour base out into your prepared pan and press firmly and evenly over the bottom.
8. Freeze until your mocha cream is ready.
9. To make your mocha cream add your soaked nuts and excess liquid, into a food processor or blender.
10. Blend until smooth then add in your honey, coconut oil and salt. Blend until light and creamy.
11. Pour mocha cream over the base layer and smooth evenly with the back of a spoon.
12.Place back in the freezer to set for at least 1 hour.
13. Once your mocha cream layer has set you can make your chocolate layer.
14. Simply mix the coconut oil, cocoa powder and honey in a bowl until smooth. Pour over the mocha layer and return to the freezer for 10 minutes.
15. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes for slicing. Keep in the freezer.