Find yourself drawn to the vendo when 3pm rolls around? Plan ahead and beat the arvo munchies with this healthy slice recipe, created by the talented chefs from Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. Packed with good fats, calcium, fibre and magnesium, it’s full of immune-boosting nutrition and tastes great.
Raw date and almond slice
Makes 20 squares
1 cup almonds, soaked overnight (discard water)
2 cups dates, soaked for a couple of hours
1 cup filtered water
½ cup carob powder
2 cups fresh coconut flesh or desiccated coconut
- Add the soaked almonds, 1 cup of dates, filtered water and carob. Blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Mix in the coconut, then press the mixture into a biscuit tray, to about one inch thickness. Leave covered in the fridge for two-three hours to firm up.
- To make the topping process the second cup of dates in blender with a little water until it is smooth like a cake icing.
- Spread over the set mix. Sprinkle with some coconut or other nuts of your choice.
- Rest in the fridge, then cut into small squares to serve.