Loaded full of hidden veggies, this homemade sausage roll recipe by Keira Rumble (of www.krumbled.com) are not only delicious but also gluten-free and packed with nutritious ingredients like hemp seeds, zucchini, lentils and carrots! “I love to pre-make a big batch of these vegetarian sausage rolls and pop them in the freezer,” says Keria. “You can do this two ways, cook and freeze or freeze uncooked. I find freezing them uncooked is the better option. It keeps the sausage mixture moist and the pastry flakey when you cook them!”
Knowing that you simply can’t have sausage rolls without tomato sauce, Keira has created her very own homemade ketchup recipe to go with it. “This easy homemade tomato sauce recipe is a great alternative to that sugar-loaded ketchup you get from the supermarkets. Did you know that your normal supermarket bought tomato ketchup has over 25% sugar in it? So 1 tablespoon of sugar equates to 4g sugar.”
Keep scrolling for both recipes!
You will need:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 220 degrees fan forced
2. Sauté your onion and garlic in olive oil, in a pan until just cooked.
3. Transfer onion and garlic into a food processor, add the remaining ingredients into the food processor, blitz until just combined.
4. Once your puff pastry is thawed, it is time to start assembling the rolls.
5. Cut your pastry sheet in half (depending on how big the sheet is)
6. Line your pastry up, and spoon the mixture into a log across the pastry,
7. Roll the pastry over mixture and press downside so the mixture is snug
8. Wash the top of the now formed rolls with the egg wash
9. Sprinkle with nigella or sesame seeds and salt.
10. Cut your log with a serrated knife into your desired size.
11. Continue along until all of your fillings is used up.
12. Pop in the oven for approx. 25-30 mins (until the pastry is nice and golden brown)
13. After the sausage rolls have finished in the oven, let rest for 2-3 minutes
14. Serve with my homemade tomato sauce
1. In a saucepan, sauté the garlic in the olive oil until just before brown.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook over low heat for 20-45 minutes.
5. The longer you cook, the more flavoursome it becomes so 20 minutes is the least amount of time I would put it on for!
6. Pop in an airtight container.
7. Keep in the fridge.
Have you checked out Keira’s Beauty Bites yet? They combine age-defying ingredients including collagen, probiotics, vitamins and prebiotics in one convenient single dose snack. Oh, and did we mention they taste DELICIOUS? Visit www.krumbledfoods.com for more!