Co-founder of online fitness program, Keep it Cleaner, Laura Henshaw, along with her bestie, Steph Claire Smith are two women you turn to for inspiration when it comes to living a healthy life. Their core philosophy is everything in moderation and here, Laura Henshaw shares her recipe for homemade gluten-free sausage rolls that’ll give your favourite bakery a run for its money! The best part? They make a healthy balanced meal with no added nasties. Oh and it doesn’t have to be gluten-free, you can use regular puff pastry sheets, and for a dairy-free option, swap out cow’s milk for a milk of your choice.
“These bad boys are a KIC favourite and we know you’ll love them too. Enjoy them your way – with salad for dinner, as a tasty lunch, for a romantic picnic date – or whatevs! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.”
4 Gluten Free Puff Pastry Sheets (or Reduced Fat)
500g Lean mince meat
Dash of Milk of your choice
1 Clove Garlic
1. Heat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Prepare the veggies by finely chopping the onion and celery. each of the following.
3. Grate the carrot and zucchini. You want to ensure the pieces are small enough to mix in evenly with the mince.
4. Mince the garlic.
5. Combine the garlic and chopped veggies with the mince and egg in a large bowl.
6. Working with one sheet of pasty at a time, add 1⁄4 of the bowl mixture into a column down one long edge and roll up carefully. Press down to seal.
7. Using a knife, cut into your desired number of pieces depending on whether you
want larger or smaller sausage rolls. We cut into 7 pieces.
8. Brush with a light layer of milk and bake on a lined baking tray in the oven for 20-25 minutes until top is nicely golden.
9. Leave to cool on a wire rack, then transfer to an airtight container or serve straight away.