We’re all for a bit of healthy baking here at Sporteluxe HQ. Which is we were so excited to try this delicious recipe by Lorna Jane Clarkson from her gorgeous new book Nourish: The Fit Woman’s Cookbook ($44.99). These moist strawberry, banana and almond friands make the perfect wholefood snack.
Strawberry, banana and almond friands
Preparation and cooking time 45 minutes
2 medium bananas (400g)
6 organic free-range egg whites
125g cold-pressed extra-virgin coconut oil
120g almond meal
165g coconut sugar
80g brown rice flour
40g quinoa flour
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
4 strawberries, sliced thinly
15g flaked coconut or flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease an eight-hole (125ml) mini loaf pan; line bases of pan holes with strips of baking paper, extending paper 2.5cm above sides.
- Thinly slice half of one of the bananas. Mash remaining banana in a small bowl; you will have half a cup mashed banana.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Add coconut oil, ground almonds, sugar, mashed banana, sifted flours, cinnamon and baking powder; whisk until combined.
- Divide mixture evenly into pan holes.
- Top with sliced banana, strawberries and coconut.
- Bake friands about 25 minutes. Stand friands in pan for 5 minutes, before transferring onto a wire rack to cool.