At this point, you probably know about our Pana Chocolate obsession. Last week we shared their raw sticky date brownie recipe, and today we’re serving up their wholesome cannoli recipe. And boy, it’s a goodie! Sure, it may not be the quickest dish to make, but the taste and texture most certainly make up for it. Expect a crisp shell and creamy filling.
A raw, vegan take on the Italian patisserie classic, cannolis make a lovely treat for afternoon tea. Our version teams a crispy buckwheat biscuit dipped in Pana Chocolate and nuts, with a smooth, creamy centre. Bellissimo!
Pana Chocolate’s Cannoli
Time: 6 hours soaking time, plus 5–10 minutes preparation, 1½ hours drying and 12–24 hours dehydrating time
Equipment: blender, dehydrator, non-stick sheet, palette knife, metal tube or cylinder (1.5–2 cm (½–¾ in) in diametre) to shape cannoli, bain-marie
85 g (3 oz) raw buckwheat
60 ml (2 fl oz/¼ cup) filtered water, plus extra for soaking
2 Medjool dates, pitted
45 g (1½ oz) bar of Pana Chocolate of your choice
Activated nuts of your choice, finely chopped
Filling of your choice
- Soak the buckwheat in filtered water for at least 6 hours.
- Strain and rinse thoroughly, then blend with the banana, dates and 60 ml (2 fl oz/¼ cup) of water until smooth.
- Weigh 10 g (¼ oz) of the mixture and place onto a non-stick sheet.
- Using a palette knife, form the mixture into a circle approximately 6 cm (2½ in) in diameter.
- Dehydrate for 1½ hours. When dehydrated correctly, the circles should be flexible and easy to shape. If not, leave to dry a little longer in the dehydrator.
- Shape the cannoli over a cylindrical object, such as a rolling pin, and stick the ends together with a little of the remaining mix.
- Allow to dry overnight until crispy.
- Slowly melt the chocolate over a bain-marie, then dip the ends of the cannoli tube in the melted chocolate.
- Dip the chocolate-covered ends into the chopped activated nuts and allow to set.
- Pipe filling (we love to use our chocolate mousse recipe from our Royal Raw Gateaux) into cannoli tubes just before serving.
Note: Raw buckwheat will swell once soaked.
This is an edited extract from Pana Chocolate, The Recipes by Pana Barbounis published by Hardie Grant Books RRP $36 and is available in stores nationally.
Photographer: © Armelle Habib