Okay, so not that you need any more of a reason to enjoy warm waffles on a Sunday morning (or any morning, really) but this recipe by Sally O’Neil of The Fit Foodie Blog is made with maca powder which boasts a tonne of health benefits.
Maca is known for its hormone balancing properties (making it perfect for around ‘that time of the month’) and can also help increase endurance when you’re working out.
“I love it because it tastes like caramel, and what better way to pair that than with waffles that taste like banana bread?!” says Sally.
Keep scrolling for a tasty waffle recipe that is not only delicious, but totally guilt-free too!
Serves 3 (makes 6)
1. Preheat your waffle iron.
2. In a bowl, combine the mashed banana, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
3. Mix in the flours, stevia, maca powder, baking powder and salt, stirring until well combined.
4. Spray the waffle iron with a little coconut oil, and depending on the size of your waffle maker, spoon in enough batter to cook your waffles – my batter made 6 waffles.
5. Cook the waffles (according to your maker’s instructions) or until browned.
6. Stack the waffles and top with a drizzle of raw honey, sliced banana, walnuts and if you’re feeling indulgent, a little melted 85% dark chocolate too!
7. Freeze any spare waffles and toast them when you’re ready to eat!