Why we all need little chia seed in our lives:
There’s a reason chia seeds have healthy foodies all abuzz – they really do deserve the label superfood, given they’re the highest concentration plant source of omega-3, are packed with protein and fibre, have a really low glycaemic index, boost digestion and keep you feeling full for ages. Adding them to salads, smoothies, muesli and even stews can help naturally boost your energy levels, brain function and heart and skin health too. Better still, you can base a whole mean around them with recipe like these amazing chia pods which I created myself.
All they take is four ingredients and four easy steps. They’re perfect for time-poor people (like all of us here at Sporteluxe) but also healthy and delicious. I love it for breakfast, as an on-the-go snack or even a guilt-free dessert, and it’s great when you’re in need of a buzz to shake off your 3pm slump. The little honey hit works wonders to ward off major sweet cravings too!
Vanilla Bean Chia Seed Pudding
- 1/3 cup of chia seeds
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of honey (or maple syrup if vegan)
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- Combine chia seeds with water and whisk with a fork. Let stand for one minute.
- Scrape out vanilla bean and stir into chia seed mix with honey or maple syrup.
- Once combined, add almond milk and mix until no lumps are present.
- Pour into cups or bowls and refrigerate until set (2-3 hours), then finish with your fave toppings.
TIP: Serve in a pretty stemless wine glass, and garnish with berries, passionfruit, coconut, yoghurt or even granola – go on, get creative!