Making your own sushi is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy this Japanese delight and boost your vegetable quota. Pumpkin is high in antioxidants and avocado is full of healthy fats to nourish the skin and cardiovascular system. They’re really easy to do too!
Roasted Pumpkin & Avocado Brown Rice Sushi
Makes 3 sheets of sushi, which makes 18 pieces
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup of cooked organic brown rice
- 1 cup cooked baked organic pumpkin cut into batons
- 1 ripe avocado sliced into batons
- Pickled ginger
- 1 packet of Japanese nori
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of stevia
What to do:
- In a bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar with the stevia. Then add to the cooked rice and mix with a fork.
- Lay down the nori sheet, shiny side down on a sushi rolling mat.
- Use slightly wet finger tips to spread the rice across the nori approx 1cm thick. Leave 3cm of bare nori at one end. Add pumpkin and avocado on the opposite end of the bare nori.
- Using wet finger tips, roll the nori around the filling as per rolling instructions on nori packet.
- Use a sharp knife and cut into pieces, using a gentle sawing motion.
- Serve with fresh ginger and soy sauce.
- Serve (and better still, eat) immediately.