There’s nothing like the smell of a warm fruit loaf baking in the oven. A creative twist on your standard banana bread, this recipe by dietitians behind The Biting Truth includes pineapple as their star ingredient. Not only are pineapples are great for gut health thanks to their high fibre count and an enzyme called bromelain (which has been also shown to be anti-inflammatory) they’re also a natural immune-booster and great source of vitamin C—perfect for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere heading into winter. To make this recipe dairy-free, simply swap the regular milk for your favourite nut milk alternative.
Serves: 10 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes
2 cups wholemeal flour
½ cup desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup pineapple, finely diced or blitzed in food processor
¾ cup milk (nut milk for a dairy-free option)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup honey
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
Desiccated coconut, to decorate
Ground cinnamon, to decorate
Pineapple pieces, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced. Line a medium size loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Combine flour, coconut and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine mashed bananas, vanilla essence, pineapple, milk, eggs, honey and extra virgin olive oil.
4. Add the pineapple mixture to the dry ingredients and gently mix to just combine. Note: be careful to not overmix.
5. Pour the batter into the loaf tin, top with the slices of pineapple, sprinkle of cinnamon and desiccated coconut.
6. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until cooked through.
Looking more delicious winter warmer recipes? Be sure to check out the below!