I actually created this recipe by accident. I was attempting to make raw chocolate when I ended up with a rich and deliciously decadent tart-like filling. Naturally, I scrapped my initial idea and rolled on to make this raw, vegan, gluten free and refined sugar-free tart instead.
It is extremely quick to whip up and probably one of my favourite desserts. (I recently fed this to a table of men, who all scoffed it before they could say, “Vegan? Whaaaa!”.)
It’s also high in magnesium, antioxidants, omega 6 and natural protein, making it a guilt free way to indulge. Enjoy!
Raw Chocolate Tart with Roasted Hazelnuts
For the crust, you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup dry roasted almonds
- 2 tbls coconut oil melted
- 3 tbls almond milk
- 2 tbls rice malt syrup
- Pinch sea salt
For the filling, you’ll need:
- ¾ cup of coconut oil
- 1 cup of raw cacao powder
- 1 cup of rice malt syrup
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts to top with
What to do:
- Blend all the ingredients for the crust in a food processer until a dense crumb consistency. If too dry, add a touch more almond milk. Press mixture evenly into a large spring form tart tin and place in the refrigerator to set whilst making the tart filling.
- Place ingredients in a small saucepan and stir gently over a low heat until combined and thick. Pour into the tart crust and place in the fridge to set for around 4 hours.
- Whilst the tart is setting, place the hazelnuts on baking paper and place in the oven on 160 degrees for approximately 15 minutes, until skin is crumbling away from hazelnut. Allow to cool.
- Remove tart from the fridge and sift with a tablespoon of raw cacao and scatter with hazelnuts before slicing. Store in the fridge covered in foil or in an airtight container.
Tip: A tablespoon of coconut yoghurt complements this dessert beautifully.