Straight from the pages of Leah Itsines’ BARE Guide where you’ll find over 120 other delicious recipe ideas, meal planners, shopping lists and healthy variations of all your favourite foods, the food blogger shares exclusively with Sporteluxe her recipe for this veggie-packed Mediterranean pizza which uses wholemeal pita bread as the base for a healthier, lower calorie option. “This is a great way to get a crispy thin crust,” says Leah. “If you wanted more veggies into your day, you could try a cauliflower or broccoli base! And for a plant-based swap, simply opt for vegan cheese!”
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Olive oil spray
1 small wholemeal pita bread
1⁄2 small red capsicum, sliced thinly
1⁄2 small red onion, sliced thinly
1⁄2 small zucchini, sliced thinly
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon basil pesto
2 marinated artichoke hearts, sliced
2–3 sundried tomatoes, sliced thinly
4 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
Pinch of dried oregano
10g feta cheese, crumbled
Pinch of fresh parsley, chopped
20g pine nuts, roasted
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Spray oil on one side of the pita and add to the heated pan. Lay pita on the lined tray, cooked-side down.
3. In the same frying pan, add capsicum, onion and zucchini and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
4. Spread the basil pesto over the pita bread and top with the capsicum mixture, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes and olives.
5. Top with oregano, feta, pine nuts and parsley. Bake for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Want more recipes from Leah? Be sure to check out the below!