If you enjoy having something sweet for breakfast, but don’t want to miss out on the protein and nutrients that other breakfast options offer, then this recipe is for you!
The key ingredient in this dish is quinoa is a superfood that’s been in the spotlight for a while now (and for good reason!). Quinoa is a great breakfast option as it is packed with protein (8g protein per 100g to be exact). This South American grain, which is technically a seed, has all nine of the essential amino acids needed for growth and repair. It’s also high in fibre and iron, making it a great start to the day.
This dish also contains plenty of antioxidants thanks to the berries, and is sweetened naturally with honey. Plus the added cinnamon helps to stabilise blood sugar levels and curb sugar cravings for the day ahead.
Time: 25 minutes
- 240ml almond milk
- 190g quinoa, red or white
- 140g blackberries
- 140g blueberries
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons runny honey
- 40g pecans, toasted and chopped
- Bring the milk, 240ml water and quinoa to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Take off the heat and leave for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the fruit with the cinnamon and honey.
- Sprinkle with pecans.