Growing up, there was nothing more delicious than your mum’s homemade mash potato. But many of the classic mash recipes include a tonne of butter and milk, which isn’t ideal for those who follow a dairy-free diet (or trying to lower their fat and/or carb intake).
Luckily, we live in a world where healthy alternatives for all our favourite foods are at our fingertips (ahem, Sporteluxe.com), so you really don’t have to miss out on all those dishes you once knew and loved.
This recipe, courtesy of our friends over at Califia Farms, embraces cauliflower as its main ingredient and combines it with spinach for an extra hit of nutrients and roasted garlic for a burst of flavour (and all the immune-boosting properties).
Almond milk is the secret to its creamy texture which makes it the ultimate comfort food and fit for any occasion. Top it off with a drizzle of EVOO and you’re good to go!
2 heads garlic
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 cups Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
1 container (5oz) baby spinach
Fine sea salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Cut off the top 1/3 of the garlic heads and place on a double layer of foil. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, wrap tightly, and roast until very tender, about 45 minutes.
3. When garlic is done, in a large saucepan combine cauliflower and almond milk. Cover, bring to a boil and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes.
4. While cauliflower cooks, in a medium skillet heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring until wilted. Transfer to a colander and press lightly with a spatula to drain off any liquid.
5. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves into the pot with cauliflower, and add spinach. Use an immersion blender to puree cauliflower (or transfer cauliflower, spinach and garlic to food processor and process until smooth). Add salt to taste.