Making delicious and healthy meals during summer doesn’t have to mean slaving over a hot stove—or even turning on the stove at all! Our go-to meal of the moment: The Grounds’ no-cook scallop ceviche with ginger, ponzu and lime. This dish is jam-packed with fresh flavours and couldn’t be simpler to make.
Scallop Ceviche with Ginger, Ponzu and Lime
Recipe: Group Executive Head Chef, Paul McGrath
16 fresh scallops in the half shell
Juice of 2 limes
Zest of 1/2 orange
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp palm sugar
1tsp light soy sauce
1 tomato blanched, peeled, cored and flesh neatly diced
1tsp chopped coriander
10g ginger (pickled with 1tsp sugar and 20ml lime juice)
2 radishes, finely sliced and julienned
1 shallot, finely julienned
12 small leaves from a cos lettuce heart
Baby coriander to garnish
2 limes, cheeks removed
Crushed ice to serve
- Remove the scallops from the shell and thinly slice.
- Grate the ginger and then squeeze to release the juice into a bowl, discard the pulp.
- Combine ponzu, lime juice, orange zest, sesame oil, palm sugar and soy sauce in the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the scallops in the marinade and then gently toss for a minute to coat.
- Toss through radishes, shallots, tomatoes and coriander, then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Spoon the scallop mix and some of the marinade into each of the lettuce leaves, garnish with a stem of baby coriander and a lime cheek. Serve over crushed ice and scallop shells.