Silverbeet (also known as chard) is one of those veggies you see at the farmers market and are immediately drawn to because of it’s beautiful green leaves. Yet, lots of people don’t buy it regularly because they’re unsure of how to use it.
However, silverbeet is definitely worth giving a try as it has amazing nutritional properties. Silverbeet contains highly beneficial phytonutrients kaempferol and syringic acid. Kaempferol possesses heart-protective, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Syringic acid helps manage our blood sugar levels. This leafy green also boasts a beauty-loving line up of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, E, A, K, manganese, zinc and calcium.
Here are six ways to get more silverbeet into your diet!
- Sauté the leaves for 3-4 minutes with garlic, onion and lemon. Serve with salmon, chicken or beef.
- Add the leaves to your green juice or smoothie. Start with a small amount as chard has a bitterness to it, that you may find unpleasant if you use too much!
- Wilt a little silverbeet and stir through quinoa or buckwheat dishes.
- Add silverbeet to casseroles, soups and stews.
- Use in omelettes, frittatas, and savoury muffins.
- Use in as the basis of a warm salad. Sauté silverbeet with pine nuts, olives, garlic and a little apple cider vinegar. Add some roast vegetable and quinoa.
So, next time you’re at the market, be sure to take some silverbeet home and start experimenting!