In case you didn’t know, cooking breakfast can also be a way to show off your skills in the kitchen. Brunch is one of the hottest meal tickets in town, placing significantly close to a well-done dinner. And what better way to impress whoever is dining in your kitchen than with something they’ll never expect? Our resident nutrition expert, Susie Burrell, leading Australian dietician gives us some tips for this delicious recipe, a delectable Spanish Eggs with Hot Smoked Salmon and Chorizo. It’s spicy, healthy, and most important of all, tastes incredible. Keep reading below for more!
Image: Susie Burrell
Healthy Spanish Eggs with Hot Smoked Salmon & Chorizo
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 150g TASSAL Hot Smoked Tassie Salmon with Peppercorns, flaked into pieces
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 50g chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 400g can spicy chili baked beans
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 50g baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt flakes
- 2 tbsp grated tasty cheese
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- To serve: 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted & buttered
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add chorizo. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes until lightly browned then add the baked beans and tomatoes and heat until hot. Add the baby spinach leaves and stir through to wilt the leaves. Carefully fold through the flaked TASSAL Hot Smoked Salmon, trying not to break the salmon up whilst stirring through.
- Divide mixture between 2 x 2 cup capacity greased ovenproof shallow dishes or ramekins. Form an indentation in the center of each pile and crack an egg into each indentation. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Cover each dish with foil and bake in a preheated oven of 180ºC for 20-25 mins or until the egg is just cooked. Remove foil and continue cooking for a further 3-5 mins or until cheese is melted and golden then remove ramekins from oven.
- To serve, finish with a sprinkle of chopped chives over the eggs and serve with slices of hot buttered toasted bread.
While you’re here, check out the top ten cities to flirt in this Valentine’s Day.