There is an art to making a perfectly cooked paleo steak and delicious salad. This recipe from Palings at ivy in Sydney is just one of the deliciously clean Detox Monday dishes being served as part of March into Merivale.
Palings Rump steak with pea, bean and fennel salad
4 rump steaks (300g)
1 cup green peas, blanched
100g green beans, sliced and blanched
¼ bunch watercress leaves
1 bunch Mache lettuce
½ head celery leaves (white inner leaves)
2 celery stalks, finely shaved
½ fennel bulb, finely shaved
1 yellow capsicum, roasted and peeled
¼ bunch basil leaves, torn
¼ bunch parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
2 green shallots (white parts only), finely chopped
2 tbs pine nuts, toasted
20ml lemon juice
60ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- Take steaks out of fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook them.
- To cook, heat a heavy-based fry pan over the highest setting with a little olive oil until smoking.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper just before cooking.
- Place steaks into hot pan and allow to colour well on one side for approximately 3 minutes.
- Turn and repeat for 2 minutes on the other side.
- Remove steaks from pan and allow to rest for 5 mins. This should make the steaks medium rare. If you want your steak cooked more, allow longer in the pan on each side.
- To make salad, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil and toss to combine.