“This cajun chicken & mango recipe is all about the marinade,” says The Detox Kitchen Bible authors Lily Simpson and Rob Hobson. “Rich spices and a punch of garlic create a smoky, aromatic flavour. By gently bashing out the breasts, the marinade can cover a greater area of the flesh. The chicken is perfectly balanced by the light, creamy avocado salad and sweet-spicy salsa made with mango. This fruit is a source of the antioxidant beta-carotene, which among its many other benefits may help delay the onset of cognitive decline in older people.”
Cajun chicken with avocado salad and mango salsa
415 calories per serving
Rich in Vitamins B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6, C and E • Folate • Potassium • Beta-carotene • Tryptophan • Beta-sitosterol • Fibre
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp crushed dried chilli
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 150g each
For the Salad
A handful of fresh coriander
A handful of fresh mint
A handful of fresh parsley
1/4 red onion, roughly diced
1 tsp rapeseed oil
For the Mango Salsa
1 mango, diced
4 cherry tomatoes, diced
A handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
Salt and pepper
What to do:
- Mix together all the spices, garlic and oil with a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken breasts and turn them so they are covered with the marinade.
- Set a ridged griddle/grill pan on a medium heat and leave to heat up.
- Meanwhile, one at a time, place the breasts on one half of a large sheet of clingfilm, fold the clingfilm over so that the spices are sealed in and gently bash the breasts with a rolling pin to flatten them to about 1cm thick; remove the clingfilm. Place the breasts on the griddle pan and cook for 6 minutes on each side.
- Make the salad whilst the chicken is cooking. Finely chop the spinach, coriander, mint, parsley and red onion and mix together with the oil in a large bowl. Peel the avocados and remove the stone, then dice the flesh. Add to the bowl and fold in gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the salsa, combine all the ingredients in another bowl. Use your hands to mix, squeezing the tomatoes to create a chunky, juicy salsa.
- Serve each chicken breast with a big helping of the spinach salad and the mango salsa.
Shop now → The Detox Kitchen Bible is available at Dymocks RRP $49.99
Photo and recipe credit: The Detox Kitchen Bible by Lily Simpson and Rob Hobson, published by Bloomsbury