Follow a keto diet and running out of meal prep ideas? Or perhaps you’re looking for something you can whip up in one big batch and reheat for lunch and/or dinner—whatever your end goal may be, this nutrient-dense egg bake by Pete Evans can be made in advance for the days ahead. Simply serve with a salad of your choice and some kraut!
Total carbs: 15 g
Net carbs: 10 g
Fat: 41 g
Protein: 33 g
2 tablespoons coconut oil or good-quality animal fat
5 paleo sausages of your choice 250 g rindless bacon rashers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
600 g savoy cabbage, sliced
150 g Brussels sprouts, sliced
250 ml (1 cup) chicken bone broth (page 195 of the book)
sea salt and freshly ground
250 ml (1 cup) coconut cream
1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil or fat in a large frying pan over medium–high heat. Add the sausages and seal on all sides until browned but still raw in the middle, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. When cool enough to handle, cut the sausages into bite-sized pieces. Set aside until needed.
3. Add the bacon to the same pan and fry over medium–high heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside until needed.
4. Wipe the pan clean, add the remaining coconut oil or fat and place over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in the cabbage, Brussels sprouts and 125 ml of broth and sauté for 5 minutes to soften. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Place the cabbage mixture in a bowl, then add the bacon and sausage and give it a good mix.
6. Crack the eggs into another bowl, then add the coconut cream, remaining broth and the mustard and whisk well until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Tip the sautéed veg and sausage mixture into a casserole dish and spread out to form an even layer, then pour over the egg mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate the dish and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the egg is golden on top and set in the middle. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe extract from Easy Keto by Pete Evans, Published by Plum, RRP $24.99