Welcome to Lunch with Leah! It’s a new series we’re kicking off with popular food blogger and recipe developer, Leah Itsines where she will be sharing one of her favourite lunchtime recipes each fortnight to help you when your meal prep inspo is lacking (don’t expect any brown rice and tuna).
This bunless turkey burger recipe with tomato, rocket and lentil salad is desk-friendly and provides a great hit of protein along with fibre to keep you feeling fuller for longer. The best part is that turkey patties are great to freeze which will cut your meal prep time down even further!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Dietary Info: Dairy Free
1 ¼ cups (250g) French lentils
3 cups (750ml) water
500g turkey mince
½ cup (40g) fresh breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp (20ml) soda water
1 ½ Tbsp (30ml) Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Ground white pepper
2 ½ Tbsp (50ml) olive oil
1 Shallot, finely chopped
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp (20ml) White wine vinegar
300g Cherry or baby Roma tomatoes tomatoes
180g Rocket leaves
1. Add the lentils, water and a pinch of salt to a pot and bring to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until tender, drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, soda, egg, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a bowl, and then roll into 3 patties.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the turkey burgers for 5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from the heat and cool slightly before refrigerating until cold.
4. Make the dressing by mixing the shallot, mustard, vinegar and remaining oil in a bowl. Add the lentils, season with salt and pepper to taste, stir to coat.
5. Spoon the lentils into the base of your containers. Top with the tomatoes and rocket. Place the turkey on top.
6. To serve, remove turkey burger and reheat. Toss the salad to coat rocket and tomatoes with the dressed lentils, and then add the heated patty back on top.
Tip: For a faster version use 2 tins of drained and rinsed lentils
Visit www.leahitsines.com.au for more!