I LOVE yoga and I’m sure YOU do to!
After practicing for almost 4 years now, there are some basic unwritten rules of yoga I’ve learnt along the way. And, some down right annoying things we come across every practice long! Even though my yoga teachers haven’t quite verbally expressed any of these in class, it’s a given that you figure them out over time and adapt them to your practice.
So, in order to save YOU the time in working them out, I’ve shared them below for you.
1. Being late to class
A big no, no, but having the teacher squeeze you in between two others like sardines in a can is kinda not cool.
2. When other people walk over your mat
It’s the height of rudeness I say! Mat’s are the extension of peoples practice. It’s disrespectful if you tread on their mat!
3. People who grunt and moan all class long
If you can master meditation, then you can master noise blocking.
4. Cell phones in yoga
Way to kill the moment, and don’t let the teacher know it was you!
5. Students who chat loudly about how fun last night was
That time before practice, most yogis use this as a time to get into the ‘zen zone’ or as yogis would say, meditation.
6. Forgetting your mat and having to rent one from the studio
That feeling of forking out $$$ to rent someone else’s sweaty mat from the previous sesh when you have like 5 at home.
7. Making the effort to get to my favorite yoga teacher’s class, only to learn that the class will be taught by a substitute teacher
Like why don’t they update this the night before? Mood killer No.1.
8. That one advanced yogi who lets their ‘ego’ get the better of them
WTF? There they are doing handstands, pikes, and scorpions when the whole class is back in downward dog… Um, hello?
9. That one yogi next to you who has no idea what’s going on
The whole class is in Reverse Warrior left leg, they’re in Warrior 2 on their right leg.
10. Your instructor is giving everyone around you a sweet massage . . . except for you
Like why did they miss me? Hello?
11. See-through yoga pants
Hmmm, you get my drift.
12. When the hubby doesn’t understand that you need the latest tights at Lululemon
Hubby: “But they’re all the same”
Me: “But babe… these are different”
Hubby: “Like all the other 99 pairs in your drawers?”
Me: “You just don’t get it”
13. When someone accidentally lets fluffy off the chain in class
Hey, it happens guys and I’m sure it’s super embarrassing for that person. The age-old rule—we didn’t hear anything… just go about your daily yoga.
14. Feeling envious of the next person’s Dancer Pose
Although in yogi theory we aren’t supposed to look around and compete whilst practicing, hey, we all do it!
15. Socks in yoga
If anything they make your practice more slippery. And, we don’t care what your feet look like.
16. When your teacher plays a song in Savasana and you start uncontrollably crying for no apparent reason
Oops, all of a sudden, all those old memories of your ex resurface and you realize that he was the best thing in your life