Need for some dinner inspiration? This healthy twist on a traditional Greek favourite, created by the talented chefs at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, is perfect for cold winter nights. Full of antioxidants and flavour, is sure to satisfy both veggos and meat lovers.
For the moussaka
1 large (400g) eggplant, sliced 1cm thick
1½ large (600g) sweet potato, sliced 1cm thick
2 medium (150g) zucchini, sliced
½ cup (100g) quinoa (raw weight)
½ cup (100g) green lentils (raw weight)
1 bunch English spinach, washed
Sea salt & pepper
For the roasted tomato sauce
500g ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
Sea salt and pepper
Herb: oregano, basil, bay leaves, sprig rosemary
½ cup (100ml) filtered water
- To make the tomato sauce roast tomatoes, onions and garlic in oven until they get some colour. Add spices, herbs and water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes and blend in food processor. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle eggplant with sea salt, and leave for 20-30 minutes. Rinse and dry.
- Pre-bake all sliced vegetables on a tray.
- Cook rinsed quinoa, at a ratio of 1 cup seeds to 2 cups water on low heat and covered until all water is absorbed.
- Soak lentils for 2-3 hours, rinse and boil in fresh water.
- Mix quinoa and lentils with some of the tomato sauce. Stack in layers in baking dish, starting with sweet potato and finishing with a layer of eggplant.
- Bake at 160ºC for approximately 30-40 minutes, covering half way through cooking time. If necessary, rest before cutting into squares.
- Serve on spinach leaves with extra tomato sauce and top with a dollop of cashew cheese or pesto.